Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Roommate night

Tauernhof, where I live and the home of the roommate night

While I am just have one roommate, Dani, other students have up to 8 roommates.  So there is this event where some of the girls will hold a "roommate night."  They buy chocolate, talk, dance, pray together and just hang out.  When you're 17, 18 and 19 years old, this is what you do.  I laughed when I talked to Dani about this and suggested a "roommate morning" in which we get up early, go to a local bakery and have tea.  I can't stay up much past 22:30 (or 10:30pm) let alone be social after this.  But since I've been here, I've had the opportunity to talk to several of the younger girls (under 23-years-old) about life, boys, and other relevant topics.  It's been such a blessing. 

So, word got out about one of the conversations that I had and the advice that I gave, so one of the girls invited me over to their room to hang out and talk with them.  This was during a roommate night.  Now, remember, roommate night usually starts at 10:30pm.  But thankful for the opportunity, I agreed.  Luckily our lecture let out early and I headed over at 9:30pm.  This was nothing that I could have expected.  I listened to the various topics and then we got into conversations about what's challenging in life today, about being a young Christian and even what would be good/bad about being in an Amish community.  The conversation flowed and I was thankful to be able to listen to their challenges and talk about life.  It was 11:09pm when I left.  While we didn't get into too many topics, they invited me back.  What a privilege to be involved in their lives.  I am so grateful for this part of my experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment