At the creativity workshop. Asbury Woods Nature Center
And over the weekend, I went to a creative thinking workshop at one of the local nature centers, Asbury Woods. A renovated house set in the woods, it was the perfect setting for this workshop. And with only two other participant and the teacher, sitting in a conference room with oak chairs, and woods visible through the windows, it did spark creativity. We learned that logic is not always present when being creative. And that it's very important to play in life, because this helps with creativity (I did, in fact, go to this workshop because I wanted to do something fun). We did go through a list of things that affect creativity, like your environment, your upbringing, what you read and listen to, and who you have as friends. But the professor asked if we wanted to add anything to the list. And it took me a bit, but I added: money. When you have money, you buy what you need and that's the end of it. But when you're watching your money, you become very creative. You make due or find another way to get something accomplished. Or you go without. But it can also inspire you to pick-up or resume hobbies that are practical or resourceful. I've found in my life, that when I have less, I create more, when I have more, I buy more and create less. We finished the workshop by inventing games with kitchen utensils (see photo). We all came up with different ideas -- especially for the can opener! The professor said that he expected this -- if everyone comes up with the same idea, there's too many people in the room. I left the session glad that I went, enjoyed meeting a few new people, and promptly went home to finish some painting. : )

No comments:
Post a Comment