Wednesday, July 6, 2011

German 'bibel' study

Today was one of my favorite days.  After almost two weeks of traveling, it hit me.  I was just tired.  So I slept in a bit.  Ashley made some fabulous sweet rolls, German-style, and then she headed off to her German class at 10am.  She would be gone until almost 3, so she left me the keys and wished me a restful time.  I ate breakfast on her balcony, read, and just enjoyed the sights and sounds of everyday life in Wuerzburg: a woman kicking her bike stand-up and riding off for the day, dishes clanking in nearby places, and an older woman slowly walking her dog.  After breakfast, I spent time reviewing my notes from some of the sessions at bible school.  It's just what I needed.  I was so encouraged and reminded about how much wisdom is in the bible.  I reviewed some of the notes on Galatians, where we are to live life by the spirit as evidenced by the fruit of the spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  A change in our inner selves will result in a change in our outer selves.  If we live in the spirit we'll  have a changed attitude towards others (e.g. love, kindness, goodness), a changed attitude to circumstances (e.g. peace, patience), and a changed attitude towards ourselves (e.g. self-control).  It was a good reminder to show the fruit of the spirit wherever we find ourselves.  In doing so, we shine the light of Christ.  I relaxed and slept on her couch, reading in between and just enjoying the time with God.  I enjoyed the early afternoon this way, and was refreshed by the time Ashley got home around 3pm.

A view from the bridge in Wuerzburg

She was to meet the girl that she is mentoring, so I decided to meander around Wuerzburg.  Ashley walked with me part of the way then went to meet Jasmine.  She showed me a local shop where the man makes leather goods.  I spent time in there browsing and talking the best I could with the owner, or lederatelier.  I walked along the old part of Wuerzburg browsing a few shops and stopping at a cafe to have a pastry.  I walked more in the historic district and ended up at the Rathaus, or town building.  I also walked on the famous bridge that looks like one in Prague.  Since I've wanted to go to Prague for years now, I enjoyed seeing this.  I could see the large fortress on the hill as well.  I walked back to Ashley's and we headed off to bible study.

We walked about 15 minutes to the bible study, which was held at an apartment.  Apartments are very nice here.  It's the German way. They're solid, clean, and quiet large for an apartment.  Ashley introduced me and they said that it was no problem to translate during the study.  We studied chapter 3 of Daniel.  Ashley did a great job translating and I learned quite a bit.  Chapter 3 is the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and how when King Nebuchadnezzar asked them to bow down to his idol, they replied, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king.  But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold that you have set up" (Daniel 3:17-18).  They had made a decision to serve God no matter the outcome (and not just when life is good).  God did rescue them from the furnace, but we talked about that God does not always do this, but he did choose to rescue them.  He rescued them, not only because they stayed close to God, but to show his power to the king. 

We concluded the bible study and talked afterward and they all talked to me in English.  Of the fourteen people there, most were over 35, so I felt quite at home.  I talked with one man who is a orthopedic doctor and he has such a passion for reaching the Islamic people of Germany.  Apparently, it is growing and could be a problem in the future.  I talked with the two other ladies there -- one is a music teacher of smaller children and the other works in a pediatrician's office.  They were all so genuine.  They were very confident that God would provide direction in my life and wished me well as I left.  Although the study was in German, even when we prayed you could feel the presence of Christ.  And it was a good reminder that God speaks more than English.  We headed home and it was almost midnight.

I'll enjoy my last full day in Europe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment