Sharon/me and Ashley
Sommerhausen, Germany
I arrived in the Frankfurt airport on the one hour flight from Amsterdam, however, my luggage did not make it with me. Fortunately, I had a small change of clothes and Ashley lent me some things. I still have not received it, so I am exercising my patience as I learned in the study of the Psalm this weekend. Ashley and Thomas picked me up a the Frankfurt airport and after waiting almost an hour for me to come out, we headed to Wuerzburg. It was good to be with them. We relaxed over a stir-fry dinner at their house and I got to know Thomas better. He's studying for his PHD in physics. Their place is so quaint and Ashley, who is originally from Kansas, but married a German, decorates so simply and has such bright and happy colors. We finished dinner and went to bed. I slept so soundly.
Thomas left for the university where he works before I even got up. Ashley made crepes and we enjoyed a slow and relaxing breakfast on her balcony. We left shortly before lunch to explore Wuerzburg. We didn't go too far because there was a chance that my luggage would be delivered. We also wanted to go on a bike ride, but maybe tomorrow. We walked to town via a beautiful garden complete with old lamp posts. We walked past a palace, which we visited later, and walked on the stone streets to see a poetry garden, a few different types of churches and browsed a few shops. We even saw a winery built in the 1400's. We stopped for lunch at an authentic German place, complete with the beer umbrellas on the outside tables. It was very tasteful though. The buildings around it had flower boxes and were so well maintained. I had a version of a light pirogi with broccoli and carrots, it was very good. We walked to the palace and had a very detailed tour of the palace that the bishop built in the 1700's. The place was so decadent, but the fresco's on the walls and ceilings were stunning and so colorful. On the one above the staircase in the entryway, it had four continents pictured on it with people appropriate for those continents. And the rooms were so ornate with gold, marble and tapestries. Since he built it with the people's money, it was no wonder that they didn't like him. We walked through some very magnificent gardens and headed back home.
In the evening we drove to a German wine festival in a nearby village called Sommerhausen. Just so quaint. We walked around the village and then followed a path around the town and through local vineyards. The evening was just the perfect temperature for strolling through the vineyards. We walked up the hill behind the village and around and back through town to the location of the festival. When we arrived, there was a 'glas,' or brass band playing traditional German music. Orange benches lines the streets and people were drinking local wines. We had an onion-like flat pizza and fries and some white wine from the vineyards that we walked through. We enjoyed the music, conversation, and the town-like atmosphere. A German couple and their two kids next to us were playing cards and the family beside us asked in German (as I looked a bit wide-eyed) if their grandmother could eat the pizza. It was that kind of atmosphere. We walked back along the Min river watching the sun set. A great way to end a day in Germany with a very nice couple.
No comments:
Post a Comment