Saturday, June 25, 2011

Graduation

Graduation
Kerstin, Isa, Sharon/me, Daniela

It's hard to believe that 8 weeks of bible school has come to a close.  I actually lived in Austria.  It's been an amazing experience to live in a foreign country, live in community, and to be around students of other countries.  While I was the oldest student, the younger students never made me feel old.  It took me some time to realize that some of the younger girls wanted to talk to me as an older person.  And I can understand this because I have several older people in my life that I enjoy and look forward to talking to -- whether it's about the good or the bad in life.  So as the weeks went on, I found that I loved to talk to a handful of the girls on a much deeper level.  And it was such a privilege to share their heart with me.  Often it was just such a sweet conversation because we're coming from the same place of faith.  As we wrapped up the last day and graduated, I was teary-eyed.  Partly because I've had such an amazing heart experience here, but also because I know that many of the girls and the young men will go on to be very Godly and fantastic wives, husbands, fathers, and mothers.  And I'll miss a few very much who were kindred spirits to me.  But I may see some again.  Some of the girls from Washington invited me to visit.  And a few others from Switzerland, Germany, Canada, and Romania also said to visit.  While it is exciting to think about visiting a foreign country, I would so enjoy just spending time with them even if it's years from now. 

As for the next steps, I've spent the last few days cleaning the school with the staff and 5 other students who stayed.  Tonight, we're headed to a dinner at one of the "huts" for an authentic Austrian meal.  And I think since school is over, we might even have some Austrian wine. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment