Sunday, June 26, 2011

Leaving tomorrow

Dinner at the hut
Dodo (Germany), Kerstin (Germany), Sharon/me (USA)

We walked 30 minutes up the mountain to get to dinner at a hut.  All the staff were present and we had a fantastic meal and fellowship, complete with an accordian player throughout the night.  I even had a glass of Austrian wine (though after two months I couldn't even drink the whole glass).  It's hard to believe that tomorrow I leave for Italy to spend 4 days in Florence and Rome.  It's been so nice to have these days here after the students left to process all of what's going on.  Today we were able to sleep in and could help ourselves to breakfast.  I couldn't believe that I slept until almost 8am.  But I really like the girls in my new room -- Kerstin, Stefi, and Megan (my desk mate in class).  We had a barbeque at the Protestant church for lunch and I spent the afternoon leisurely packing.  I also went on one last walk along the river.  It's been a bit cloudy and cooler for the past week and half, but as I was on my walk, the sun started to come out.  I so enjoyed hearing the river, reflected on all of God's creation, and thanked him for being able to go on this trip.  It's so crazy to think that I just spent 8 weeks in Austria and now I'll get to travel to Italy, the Netherlands, and Germany. 

It's also been great to see that when I've trusted God, that plans seem to go so much smoother.  Like my travels for example.  For one, my camera broke the week before school ended and when I told one of the staff girls that I liked her camera -- that it was just like the one that I had, she offered to lend it to me for my travels.  And literally, it's just an older version of mine.  She's German, but bought it when she lived in America.  So my USB cable works.  So amazing.  And I fly out of Munich to Rome tomorrow, and instead of having to take the train, one of the German students is going to take me to the airport in half the time.  And there are so many other instances like this.  While I am excited to travel, I'm more excited to travel with Lani in Italy, visit the couple in the Netherlands that were so instrumental in my decision to go to school, and visit the other student in Germany. 

As I get packed up, and think about all that I've learned, I think that if I had not left work, I would not be here.  While I don't know where the path leads next, I have so much peace that if I had such an amazing experience that drew me closer to God and brought the reality of Christ to me, how can I worry about what's next?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus."

Philipians 4: 6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment