Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ice cream and linens with Bonnie

It's been a full week.  This week we're talking about relationships with Chris and Bonnie Thomas.  As it turns out, they are the aunt and uncle of my friend Heidi from Tennessee.  So, Heidi's Mom, Betty Ruth, is Bonnie's sister.  Both Heidi and her Mom went to Torchbearer schools years ago.  And they were both so instumental in helping me make my decision to come to school.  It's so amazing to meet her family across the ocean.  And I appreciate their teaching because they are so real, and speak the truth with such passion. 

Outside of lecture, we had family group on Tuesday night and yesterday I went for a hike yesterday as part of sports day.  I am still so amazed at the views.  And I always enjoy the group hikes because I have a chance to talk to more of the students.  I talked with a young man named Alexander.  He so impresses me at such a young age with his maturity, quiet ways and ability to relate to all students. He'll be going back to school to get a degree in architecture in Canada.  I talked with several of the other students as well.  And last night Bonnie met with the ladies.  She shared her life and encouraged all of the girls.  And at the end, it was so nice to see many of the younger girls stay after to ask Bonnie about relationships, marriage and anything else that was on their mind. 

As for my time with Bonnie today (which, by the way, I kept calling her Betty Ruth), we enjoyed an ice cream cone in town at an ice cream parlor and then stopped in a linen shop afterwards.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with her, as she reminds me so much of Betty Ruth -- a gentle and caring way about her.  We talked about what I'm doing after bible school, God's work in our lives, and of course we talked a bit about her sister's family.  As we talked about just being peaceful in the present moment, she gave me this quote from George McDonald that really inspired me:  "The Christian Life is obedience for the next 5 minutes."  Hmm, that makes a lot of sense.

Bonnie Thomas and Sharon (me) at the Austrian linen shop

As we walked over to the linen shop, it was so nice to be with another adult and one that felt like family.  We browsed the Austrian-made linens and just had a ball (in fact, she reminds me so much of my Aunt Ruth as well).  She knew the owner, an older, but very sweet woman.  We talked with her a while and left with a few pieces to remember our trip. 

Poll: do you like the pillow case?

No comments:

Post a Comment