I thought that I'd never say the term "roomie" once I left college. However, you can't live amongst 18 - 29 year-olds for weeks on end and see them all day long and not call your roommate, "roomie." So my roomie Daniela and I decided to take a hike today on the mountains behind the school. We had a chance to catch up and we even discussed a student who needed advice on leaving home versus pleasing her parents. People deal with real issues here and real problems, but there's also real healing. I find some of the most inspiration moments in the morning shortly after breakfast when we're sitting in the dining rooms, eating family style. Students sign up to do a devotion, which is basically what God is doing in their life and they'll cite a passage of scripture as well that they found inspirational. All of the students have been so well-prepared, and speak the truth about their lives. The young man this morning was wise beyond his years (he's the same one that I went to church with the first Sunday here). He talked about not being able to see the outcome of what is going on in our lives, that if we don't always like or understand where we're at, that we need to remember that we can't always plan or foresee the outcome. But that God will work it out for good. He also quoted Job 2:10, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble," when Job's wife wanted Job to curse God because of the calamity in their lives. What seems like disaster, can have a very different ending.

Daniela and Sharon, overlooking the town of Ramsau
As for the hike, my roomate and I hiked up a steep mountain, going through the forest for most of the way, over tree roots, up winding paths, over small streams, across local roads, and back through the forest. We hiked partway up to the tallest point on the mountain. We hiked a little further than we wanted, but when we did, we came into this beautiful field filled with yellow buttercups, white lace, small purple flowers, daisies, and deep purple tubular moutain flowers. We paused to take in the view, enjoy each others company and headed back down the mountain. I never tire of the beauty, peace, and grandness of nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment